Mortgage brokers with buy-to-let clients who intend to use their property as part of their pension plan are being urged to recommend they take out a Lasting Power Attorney (LPA) before retirement age.

A Lasting Power of Attorney allows an individual to appoint a third party, known as the attorney, to make financial, property, health and welfare decisions if they are no longer capable of doing so.

Buy-to-let property owners should be using a property and financial LPA even if they use an agent to manage their portfolio and do not need to regularly review their finances, cautioned Moore Blatch solicitors. The firm said that a significant number of landlords would become unable to manage some or all of their financial affairs at a point during their retirement due to physical or mental ill health.

Moore Blatch said that approximately 1m LPAs have been taken out in England and Wales since 2012, which it said was a ‘tiny’ number considering that there were around 1.5m people aged over 85 and around 5m aged over 75.

The public’s reluctance to use LPAs stems from a lack of awareness of the protection available, a failure to accept an LPA might be needed and the perceived and actual complexity of putting one in place, said the firm.

Fiona Heald, head of the Court of Protection team at Moore Blatch, said: “While we would argue that most people should have the security of a Lasting Power of Attorney in place, we would expect virtually everyone who has chosen to manage their retirement finances personally to have one. Without an LPA a third party would not legally be allowed to instruct an adviser on any changes to a property portfolio no matter how closely related.”

Heald said LPAs should be drafted by a solicitor as there can be very serious consequences should an LPA be completed in error. “..the forms can appear to be deceptively simple,” she added. “In most cases errors are not discovered until it is too late”

life insurance
home insurance
equity release

We offer whole of market advice for all types of customers, whether you are a first time buyer, home mover or looking to purchase a buy to let property. Being independent we are able to offer impartial advice from the whole of the market to ensure you get the product that suits your financial needs.

Whether you are looking to protect your mortgage payments or your family, we provide independent advice for life insurance, critical illness cover and income protection from a wide range of providers.

Buildings Insurance is a requirement when you complete on a mortgage the cover is to provide security to the lender, the insurance covers the main structure of your home. It will cover you for subsidence, storm, flood, fire or smoke damage and cover the costs of rebuilding or repair.

Equity release is a way of releasing cash from your property, either through selling a percentage to the reversion company or taking a mortgage on it, while allowing you, the homeowner to continue living there as long as you wish.