Buildings Insurance

Talks about flood insurance are at “crisis point” and could leave 200,000 homes without cover, according to an insurers’ body.

Many thousands more householders could see premiums rise if no deal is struck between insurers and the government

click here to Read full story

Japanese knotweed (Fallopia japonica) is causing some concern with some lenders and valuers. Some weeds are invasive and can grow through the brickwork of a property causing severe damage, as with the case of the Japanese knotweed.

Japanese knotweed was introduced to Britain in the 19th century as an ornamental plant but it has become widespread. Japanese knotweed can grow through concrete and tarmac, the plant can grow a metre in a month and a 1cm section of underground stem can produce a new plant in 10 days!! These stems can remain dormant in soil for 20 years before producing new plants.

With lenders reviewing the policy on Japanese knotweed it could now be a case that the lender will not go to offer, however some lenders will consider going to offer if you have the Japanese knotweed eradicated and can provide a certificate of guarantee for a minimum number of years.

If you think you might have Japanese knotweed you should Contact the professionals. Members of the Invasive Weed Control section of the PCA are qualified and regulated in Japanese Knotweed management and can deliver efficient, effective and reliable treatment.

Do not ignore Japanese knotweed when you see it in your garden or building plot. It can grow quickly and costs will grow as the plant does. If you want information on Japanese Knotweed, a good first step is to read through the Environment Agency Guide – Vegetation Projects.

Installing a good home security system – A NACOSS standard alarm can cut premiums with many of Insurance providers.

Home SecurityNACOSS stands for National Approvals Council for Security Systems.  It is an independent, none – profit making supervisory body. NACOSS exists solely for the purpose of ensuring that member companies comply with the industry standards and codes of practice.

Home Security

Have you had a system fitted, but not advised your insurer – you should as you might be able to reduce your premiums.

If you do not have a home security system fitted, then you may wish to consider getting one, firstly you are securing your home and personal contents and also your buildings insurance premium will be reduced.

For a personalised competitive buildings and contents quotation, give us a call on 01489 580020 or email on

Suitable locks, you should change the locks such as when you move to a new house as you never know who might still hold a key. It is important to change the locks to prevent others gaining access. Insurers state that you should fit Five lever mortise locks on your external doors and two bolt locks for your windows.

If you change the locks when you move to a new house, you will know exactly how many keys you have and who holds them.

For a personalised buildings and contents quotation, give us a call on 01489 580020 or email on

Home insurance Gutted by fire

Almost two million people in the UK have no home insurance.

Contrary to what many householders believe, it means even if damage is caused by someone else, they could lose everything.

The BBC’s Paul Lewis from Radio 4’s Money Box reports on the loss suffered by villager Violet Grainger, when her neighbour’s chimney caught fire.

Unlike many comparison websites we believe that the quality of your policy is as important as the price.

There is little value in buying the cheapest policy found online if it won’t pay out when you need it to therefore cheapest isn’t always best.

There are plenty of policies that offer both a good level of cover and a competitive price but you won’t always find them on the comparison tables.

Yes, price is important – but so is the quality of the policy.

life insurance
home insurance
equity release

We offer whole of market advice for all types of customers, whether you are a first time buyer, home mover or looking to purchase a buy to let property. Being independent we are able to offer impartial advice from the whole of the market to ensure you get the product that suits your financial needs.

Whether you are looking to protect your mortgage payments or your family, we provide independent advice for life insurance, critical illness cover and income protection from a wide range of providers.

Buildings Insurance is a requirement when you complete on a mortgage the cover is to provide security to the lender, the insurance covers the main structure of your home. It will cover you for subsidence, storm, flood, fire or smoke damage and cover the costs of rebuilding or repair.

Equity release is a way of releasing cash from your property, either through selling a percentage to the reversion company or taking a mortgage on it, while allowing you, the homeowner to continue living there as long as you wish.